Who We Are
VHI Transport, now a woman-owned company, was established in 1977 as Virginia Hiway, Inc., a truck brokerage. As our mission and geographic reach expanded, our name was changed to VHI Transport in 2003. Through early introduction of technology and our internal value system, we have earned a reputation as one of the most progressive, honorable and knowledgeable transportation brokerages in the country. Based on years of experience and advice to clients, we have added logistics consultation to our portfolio.
The founder of our firm, David E. Gee, CTB, was involved in our industry trade associations for decades, serving as both treasurer and president of the Transportation Brokers Conference of America (TBCA) and serving on the board of directors of the Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA), the trade organization serving the $80 billion third party logistics industry.
David Gee was one of the first brokers to earn the designation of Certified Transportation Broker (CTB). This credential has been held and recertified for the last thirty years.
Now the owner of our company, Tonya Gee, is also a holder of this prestigious credential. Tonya earned her CTB in 2010. She has also achieved certification of our firm as a woman-owned company through the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) in 2009. That makes us eligible for minority considerations.
In 2008, VHI was named Broker of the Year by the National Association of Small Trucking Companies (NASTC). In 2010, the prestigious Heritage Award was presented by TIA to David Gee for his contributions to industry leadership.
That same award-winning leadership trained and guided the current president of the company, Bruce Gee. The integrity and values on which the company was founded conveyed to the current second generation of leadership.
VHI FINANCIAL REPUTATION
Consistently one of the highest ratings given by Dun & Bradstreet.
- Dun & Bradstreet Rating: 3A1. D&B #08-413-4451
- TransCredit: A perfect score of “100”
- Charter member of Good Golden Broker Program
- Approved member of CompuNet’s Gold Book list
- Red Book Credit Services: A1, the highest rating possible
- Score of 98 with Ansonia Credit Data
- Charter member of Metro Factors’ “Good as Gold” Program
- Nacomco, Inc: Platinum Certified Broker
- Debt-free company
VHI CARRIER PAYMENT HISTORY
Fast Pay – VHI instituted fast pay for carriers long before it became popular. We pay carriers within 15 days of receiving the invoice. We also have quick pay and factor service available.
Guaranteed Pay Program (GPP) – We are proud to be one of the first six brokerages in the country to provide a guaranteed pay program to carriers, backed by a $100,000 surety bond. GPP was arranged by a national organization. Participants are an extremely elite group.
VHI INDUSTRY REPUTATION
Best Broker rating in the National Association of Small Trucking Companies (NASTC). This rank is held by only the top 3% of brokers in the country. We have held this position for the last 20 years.
Voted National Broker of the Year by NASTC.
Redbook – Highest ratings in all measurable classifications.
P3 – Participant in the P3 program, a contractual best practices program of the Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA). Participants perform to a new, high level of trust and successful relationship. VHI was one of the first participants.
VHI SMALL BUSINESS AND MINORITY DESIGNATIONS
- Certified by the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise as a small business vendor in the Small, Women, and Minority (SWaM) Vendor Directory
- Qualified as a small business by the Small Business Administration (SBA)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) – Small business under Code 488510 – Freight Transportation Arrangement
- Affiliation with a certified service-disabled veteran-owned business (SDVOB).
VHI INNOVATIVE APPROACHES
VHI takes pride in working with our shipper clients to create innovative solutions to get their freight to market with least cost and most efficiency. Here are examples of our innovation in action:
- We built our own software to manage over 500 containers, track them and put them on a waterway to avoid truck congestion at the port.
- We have earned the status of EXCLUSIVE broker for numerous shippers and motor carries who do not, as a rule, utilize broker services.
- We handle specialized equipment needs of the U.S. Government.
- We move refrigerated freight from the Northeast to the Southwest and West Coast via refrigerated rail cars.
- We have arrangements for dramatically increased insurance coverage on high value freight that gives us a unique advantage.
- Because of our insurance capabilities, we can move freight to remote or dangerous areas of the world.
- We move high valued pharmaceuticals with very precise tracking needs.
- We have our own trailers that we drop for a Fortune 500 company
- We are excellent at the “just in time” demand spot shipment that no one else wants to handle.
- Our approach is to become intimately familiar with our clients’ products, preferences, budgets and problem areas.
- We then create strategies to improve the current approach and often to cost less.
- We use a combination of our industry knowledge, our contacts, our expertise and our software.
- Creative solutions like those above take us way beyond the usual broker services.
VHI SURETY, INSURANCE, SECURITY CLEARANCE
- Voluntarily provide a surety bond that is ten times the amount required by law.
- $100,000 surety bond through Avalon Risk Management.
- Click Here to see requirements for this bond.
- Unique insurances available for non-standard transport anywhere in the world. We can insure your high-value cargo and freight to remote or dangerous locations.
- Security Threat Assessment (STA) security clearance received from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for delivery to airports.
Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA)
Intermodal Association of North America
Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
We have supported:
- Law and Logistics Council
- Richmond Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Richmond Transportation Club
4525 Lee Street
Chester, VA 23831
Dispatch Toll Free: (800) 807-7317
Dispatch Local: (804) 414-1570
Accounting, Management (804) 414-1589
MC # 172093
SCAC – VAHI
EIN, TIN or Federal ID – 54-1046451
Bank: Sun Trust, Brian Andress, 804-782-5962
Accountant: Todd Ofslager, 804-897-3420
Insurance agent: Avalon Risk Management 978-740-567784
Commercial General Liability
Errors and Omissions
Excess Umbrella Policy
Workers Compensation and Employers Liability
Contingent Cargo, NON FORM FOLLOWING
$100,000 Surety Insurance
Account Receivable Insurance
Commercial General Liability
$100,000 SURETY BOND
VHI offers a $100,000 surety bond. This is ten times the amount required by law. VHI participates in the Guaranteed Payment Plan (GPP) of the Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA). To qualify for the GPP, VHI had to:
- Be a member of TIA
We have been a member of TIA and its predecessor TBCA for more than 20 years.
- Participate in TIA’s P3 program, a contractual best practices program
VHI was one of the first participants since its inception.
- Secure a $100,000 surety bond
Arranged through Avalon Risk Management
- Pass a means test that covers years in business, credit worthiness, existing insurance (that minimizes risk), financial data, debt to asset ratio, integrity and reputation in the marketplace
VHI Transport aced these requirements and was one of the first brokers to be accepted into the Guaranteed Payment Plan.